|Sailing Home-Restoring Lena-Contact- sailing logs|
A bit of a Learning Curve.
It all started then to die down - so I really thought it was going to be just the same as Sat - it was down to 10 kts or so. So I put up the full main - with a few difficutlies, with the halyard wrapping itself around the spreader end, then a lanyard blew in between the slugs as the main went up.
By the time it was up it was getting decidedly stronger - maybe I
should have sussed from the amount of sea going - anyway, I soon had
24 kts, and that was on a beam reach, with the rail nearly in the
water. All a bit fraught really - so easy to mess up. I did try giving
her a bit less genoa - but that was no good at all, leaving her very
hard to control. I really should have reefed the main - even if it
meant getting engine on, autopilot on, genoa in - and head her into
Anyway - I sort of felt I could go in any time I wanted - so stuck with it. It did drop a bit, just after I let the genoa back out. Kept her going for two hours, tacking her about five times - so good experience, just a 'little' more than I felt like at the time.
Went in on the tide at 6.30 pm - getting the main down was a bit of a rodeo ride - and, no, I did not get any pics ! From now on, I go out with a first reef in the main - and it only comes out when I'm pretty damn sure it not needed.
Much learned - makes you realise to be cautious of this area - and that I've a good deal to learn yet about sailing a boat. But I was on my own - so some brownie points for that I think.
Still made a mess of the mooring - stiff NW wind desroyed my normal method - so resorted to grabbing what I could.
Just took me over the hundred miles in total in Lena now.